Iron Orbit hosted solutions can be accessed from anywhere, as long as you have an active Iron Orbit account, an Iron Orbit-compatible device, and are in a location where you have internet access.
To be able to access your Iron Orbit hosted solution, you only need three things:
- An active Iron Orbit account
- An Iron Orbit-compatible device
- Internet access
You can therefore access your Iron Orbit solution from anywhere you want, as long as you are an active Iron Orbit customer, have a compatible device, and you are in a location where you have access to the internet.
Here’s how to meet these three requirements, if you aren’t sure:
Signing Up for Iron Orbit
To sign up for an Iron Orbit hosted solution, contact one of our representatives at email@example.com or 1-888-753-5060.
Iron Orbit-compatible devices include:
- Windows PCs (we support any version of the operating system Windows 2000 and after, including Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10)
- Apple Macintoshes (Macs)
- Linux PCs
- Apple/iOS tablets and smartphones (iPads and iPhones)
- Android tablets and smartphones
- Blackberry smartphones
- Surface tablets and Windows Phones
- Thin clients (check out our [Iron Orbit Academy course on thin clients] [LINK] if you’re not sure what they are)
You can get internet access from almost anywhere these days. Common ways to access the internet include:
- DSL or cable internet at home (via an Ethernet cable or Wi-Fi connection)
- Cable internet at your office (via an Ethernet cable or Wi-Fi connection)
- Free or paid public Wi-Fi (available at many coffee shops, fast food restaurants, hotels, airports, airplanes, trains, campuses, and libraries)
- Mobile 2G/3G/4G broadband (which is how you access the internet on your smartphone when Wi-Fi isn’t available)
If your Iron Orbit solution is a hosted desktop or application and your device is a PC, the solution will appear and perform the same as an operating system or program installed on your device. If you are using a tablet or smartphone to access your Iron Orbit solution, the solution might look and perform a little different than the PC version—it may be resized to fit your screen, for example, and you will mainly be using your device’s touchscreen instead of a keyboard and mouse. No matter what device you access your Iron Orbit solution from, however, it will still have all of the same features and capabilities as an operating system or application installed on a PC; for example, an Iron Orbit-hosted Microsoft Word will still have all the tabs and options (fonts, tables, charts, themes, etc.) as the full desktop version, regardless of whether you’re accessing it from a PC, tablet, or smartphone.
In addition, your Iron Orbit solution will maintain your applications, files, and settings even after you log out, and even if you log out from one device and then log in from a different one. So, for example, all the applications, files, and settings that were on your Iron Orbit hosted desktop when you logged out will still be there when you log back in; and all of the applications, files, and settings that are on the hosted desktop when you access it from a PC will also be there (plus or minus the changes you make to the desktop during this session) when you log out and then access it from any tablet, smartphone, thin client, or a different PC. So you can start working on a Word document at the office from your work PC (which you use to connect to your Iron Orbit hosted desktop), then save the document, log out, and go home, and log in to your hosted desktop from, say, your personal iPad and continue working on the same Word document that you were just working on at the office.